ILLiad is the name of an electronic resource sharing software programme used by the Library. An ILLiad account is necessary in order to place requests for ILL materials beyond the URSUS and MaineCat systems. If you do not currently have an ILLiad account, you can create one here.
University of Maine faculty, staff and registered students, as well as corporate/research card holders, are eligible to use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services. All other users, including Courtesy card holders, should use the ILL services of their local public or school library.
The Library ILL department makes every attempt to obtain requested items at no or minimal cost to the user. Occasionally we may contact you when we cannot obtain items at no charge from anther library. In some instances, you may be asked to confirm that you still require the item due to the cost.
In most cases, staff order item(s) from lending libraries within 2 working days of receiving patron requests. The turnaround time for an item ordered on ILL depends largely upon the location of the lending library, and the accuracy of the information you have supplied on your request form. Requests with incomplete citation information may take longer to process, or may be returned to the patron for further information.
You will be notified if it is not possible to fill a request by the date specified as "not useful after." Please do not list a date that is less than two weeks from the date of your request
First time users will need to create an account with ILL for using the site.
1. Choose the option FOR THE FIRST TIME USER on the ILL page
2. Read through the information presented on the page and then use the FIRST TIME USERS button to continue the sign-up process.
3. Fill in the form on the screen. The * fields are required by the website. Please note that usernames including the @ symbol will cause an error message.
4. Once the form is filled in choose the SUBMIT INFORMATION button at the bottom of the screen.
5. Staff will review the information and send a confirmation email to you at the address you provided.
6. You are ready to use the system and submit requests.
ILLiad tutorial on account creation video
ILL requests are submitted via a user's ILLiad account.
1. Access your account.
2. Select the type of material you want to request on the left side of the screen (journal article, book, etc.) Different forms appear depending on the type of request.
3. Fill in as many fields possible as your information reference allows (author, title, publisher, date for books and author, article title, journal title, volume, issue, pages, and date for articles are important). The more you can provide the quicker ILL staff and other libraries can process. If unsure of some of the information in the reference you have place that information in the NOTES field near the bottom of the form.
4. Once you have the form filled in use the SUBMIT button to place the request.
5. If you have additional requests repeat the process for each item you want to order.
There are currently no limits to how many requests patrons can submit. However, ILL staff will limit processing excessive requests from a patron in order order to attend to requests from other patrons.
Patrons cannot order textbooks through interlibrary loan. Orders for textbooks will be cancelled by ILL staff.
ILL does not request articles from journals that are held in the Library unless the Circulation Department staff have determined that the issue or article is missing, or if Ursus indicates the volume/issue is at the bindery and will not be available within the next week.
Videos, audio cassettes, and genealogy from other libraries often do not circulate. You may request dissertations through Interlibrary Loan but it may not be possible to obtain a borrowed copy. Most dissertations can be purchased from UMI Dissertation Publishing. Inquire at the Information Desk.
ILL staff notify patrons by email when loans are ready for pick-up at the main Circulation desk. Items on the hold shelf will be shelved under your last name. You will receive an email notification when articles are delivered in pdf format to your ILLiad account for viewing. They will be available for 30 days or 5 downloads. We encourage you to download and save the pdf's, if you want to retain the information.
Loan periods and renewal options are set by the respective lending libraries and can vary widely. Graduate students and faculty do not get semester loans for interlibrary loan books.
Interlibrary loan books are not listed in your circulation record. Your ILLiad account is your record of all books and photocopies you have requested through Interlibrary Loan. Please return interlibrary loan books at the Circulation desk. To be sure your book makes its way safely to the interlibrary loan department and to aid with return processing, please leave the interlibrary loan book slip in the book.
You can request a renewal through your ILliad account. The lending library sets the policy of whether renewals are allowed, and for how long.
Replacement charges for the nonreturn of ILL material are a minimum of $45.00 per item. Books returned late may be subject to a $10.00 fine.
5729 Fogler Library · University of Maine · Orono, ME 04469-5729 ; (207) 581-1673