1. Find your subject librarian and schedule a meeting. Every subject taught at the University of Maine has a librarian who specializes in that subject area, and that librarian is happy to meet you and answer any questions you might have.
2. Activate your card and explore Fogler Library's catalog. To prepare to request books from other libraries, get in touch with Circulation and make sure your MaineCard is activated for library use. In the meantime, you can browse our online catalog to look for books and ebooks!
3. Explore our resources. Browse our A-Z list of databases and our e-journal list, or search URSUS (University of Maine system catalog) or MaineCat (catalog for most Maine libraries) to see what resources are available for you to borrow.
4. Take a look at our library research guides. We have created library research guides about many subjects. Watch the video below to learn more.
5. Ask your subject librarian how they can help with research and information literacy instruction in your classes. Subject librarians can assist with class-related research instruction or information literacy instruction through online videoconferencing, and/or through online course research guides. Get in touch to find out more!
6. Create your Interlibrary Loan account. At the University of Maine you will need to create your own Interlibrary Loan account; to do this, you'll need to visit the Interlibrary Loan guide. See our How to Set Up an ILLiad Account video tutorial for account creation instructions and our How to Place an Interlibrary Loan Request video tutorial for more information about how Interlibrary Loan requests work.
7. Take a look at our video tutorials. We have a number of video tutorials dealing with different aspects of the research process. As a new member of the University of Maine community, you may find How to Request a Book Through the URSUS Catalog, How to Request a Book Through MaineCat, and How to Access Articles Using Article Linker particularly helpful.
8. Watch our welcome video (see above and to the left). We've created a welcome video for you that includes a guided tour of the Fogler Library homepage. We want you to know where our resources are so you can feel comfortable using them as soon as possible.
5729 Fogler Library · University of Maine · Orono, ME 04469-5729 ; (207) 581-1673