What are standards & specifications?
- Codified guidelines that define how processes are to be performed or measured, or how products are to be designed
- Usually written by businesses, industrial organizations, and government bodies
- Serve to increase product quality and safety, and allow for interchangeability of parts
What are some examples of standards & specifications?
- Government-mandated specifications for how mattress flammability tests are performed
- Voluntary guidelines on ventilation for acceptable indoor air quality
- Voluntary specifications for the width and spacing of steps in staircases
How do I get copies?
- Standards and specifications are generally sold, not loaned through libraries
- Fogler Library does have some standards; contact us to check what we have available here